Ensuring your roof is winter ready is critical for the Colorado winter season. Harsh winter elements can make roofs more vulnerable to damage. There are simple steps you can take to prepare your roof for the winter months. During the winter months, you need to pay close attention to your roof.
Follow these five simple steps to ensure your roof is ready for the winter elements:
- Clean out gutters. Once the last of the leaves have fallen from the trees around your home, take the time to carefully inspect and clean your gutters. Remove all leaves, pine needles and any other debris from your gutter system that can clog the downspouts and cause water from melted snow or ice to overflow. A surplus of water in your gutter system can cause them to fall off, or cause damage to your roof, trim and siding.
- Prune and remove hanging branches. While trees can add protection from sunlight during the summer, they can damage your roof in the winter during heavy snowstorms. Branches can scratch shingles and dent your roof on impact, and even cause damage to your house.
- Inspect for damages. Grab a stable ladder and inspect your roof for any telltale signs of damage or excessive wear. Make sure to replace all missing, cracked, or frayed shingles to prevent water from infiltrating your home. Additionally, check for damaged flashings around chimneys and skylights. This step is best performed by use a professional roofing contractor. Gen 3 Roofing offers free, comprehensive inspections.
- Keep an eye out for water spots. In addition to inspecting your home’s exterior, you should also look at the ceilings of your home for any signs of water infiltration. If you notice water spots along your ceilings and/or walls, chances are you have a leak that requires immediate attention.
- Review your homeowner’s policy. Whether you have a warranty on your roof or your homeowner’s insurance covers storm damage, you should be aware of what is covered before any damage happens this winter. Keep in mind, you are responsible for routine roofing maintenance. If damage goes unrepaired resulting in even greater repairs, insurance companies can reject your claim as they typically only cover incidents that occurred outside your control. Providing evidence that your roof has been properly maintained is critical when filing any insurance claims.
Your Trusted Roofing Contractor
Preparing your roof for the winter is an essential step to ensure your family’s safety, protect your home from damage and avoid unnecessary costly repairs. However, you shouldn’t have to put your own safety at risk – use a professional roofing contractor.
Gen 3 Roofing has a deep history in the construction trades and proudly represents three generations of ties to the Colorado roofing industry and serve all of Colorado. With an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, Gen 3 Roofing understands that your home, investment property, or commercial building is one of your largest investments and needs to be properly maintained to help ensure its value.
We have extensive experience in identifying and repairing damaged roofs and will also make sure that everything on your insurance claim is clearly and specifically identified as legitimate hail damage, so that you’re protected against insurance fraud and its heavy penalties.
If you suspect your roof may be damaged and in need of repairs contact us today. The roofing professionals at Gen 3 Roofing have the experience and expertise to provide you with a comprehensive inspection both inside and out of your residential or commercial properties. Schedule your no cost, no obligation roof inspection today or give Gen 3 Roofing a call for more information at 303-923-5039.